Google

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Crosstraining 101 for Runners

Crosstraining is doing something different than running. The key is to make sure it is not too similar to running. The idea is to use the muscles (and all the supporting tissues) differently from running. It helps strengthen the less used muscles which helps prevent injuries due to overusing the muscles and from imbalances caused by doing the same thing over and over.

Stairmasters, stairclimbers, pool jogging are not good xtraining (the cool way of writing crosstraining). Too similar to running. Pool running is a great supplement to your training but I do not think of it as crosstraining.

Walking and elliptical are not bad. Just different enough and a lot less impact. If you walk try hiking. The unevenness of the trails helps. If doing the elliptical, work the opposite direction during the workout.

The classic is bike riding. Low impact (unless you fall or get hit by a car) Great aerobic workout. Great for building strength for hills. Insert Spin classes here.

Swimming is another great xtraining tool. This is starting to sound like a tri blog.

Kick boxing, martial arts, yoga, and weight lifting are excellent also.

My personal favorite is rock climbing. I go at least twice a week Ok technically I am plastic climbing since I go to my local climbing gym (Planet Granite). Great for core strength, flexibility, and it really works all those little fibers that get to relax during running. Just add some light chest work and you are all set.

There are many others out there, so find your favorite and have fun.

A note: Running on a treadmill is running! I can't tell you how many customers come in and I ask if they run and they say "no, I use the treadmill". Then I ask if they walk and they answer "no, I run"! Oh yeah, no such thing as a treadmill running shoe but that's another post!

5 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Blogger Matias said...

Have you ever climbed out-of-doors? That looks scary. Do you have to wear special kleats?

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Scott said...

(Imagine a deep FM radio voice)
Why yes son I have climbed out-of-doors. It can be scary to the scared but to the unscared it is not scary.
Let me give you some helpful tips: get a good klettershuhe, kernmantle, carabiners, pitons and a piton hammer. Go to Grant's Crack in Yosemite, hammer those pitons in and have fun climbing! Let me tell you a story about Yosemite and lost love. I had this friend ...
wise a&&.
Later

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger April Anne said...

What are you thoughts about tennis for x-training? I just started playing.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Tennis is good x-training for running. The explosive (hopefully) lateral and up and back movement is excellent for the legs and the upper body movement also helps Be aware that your legs may feel more tired until you get used to tennis. They do take a pounding (assuming you play on hard courts). Also try doing some light weights (a couple of pounds) on the side you do not hold the racket. This will help keep the muscles in the upper body in balance.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger April Anne said...

Thanks--good idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home