Google

Thursday, September 08, 2005

New Balance 1st quarter '06

New Balance has one new exciting shoe and two important revisions.

The new model will be the 1010. It is a motion control shoe that is probably the most runner friendly of any of their mc's. It starts with big chunks of the Abzorb sbs cushioning in the forefoot and heel. The midsole is called Acteva, it is lighter than regular eva and is supposed to hold up better (though haven't really seen that). It has a Rollbar and a polyurethane medial post! It is very stable but really felt good on the short jog I took it on. This is a shoe for you severe overpronators to try.

The next big change is the 991 is being replaced by...You guessed it, the 992! After about four years they made a few updates. The main one is they are using Abzorb SBS and top loading the front piece. The shoe felt very similar (maybe a bit more cush), though the toe box was a little narrower. This surprised the rep, so it might be changed during the final production. It still uses pigskin in the upper and still looks like your father's (or by now, grandfather's) shoe.

The most important update is the new 857. The 850 series have been very popular since being introduced (in spite of NB's efforts to ruin it). The first thing you notice: no rollbar! They are only going to use rollbars on motion control shoes. I have never considered this series to be mc, even though Runner's World seems to think so (of course they do not watch people run in them).
They have extended the medial post and are using the TS2 medial post. The old medial post was a single density, the TS2 (Transitional Support System) has a graduated density. It is firmest by the heel and gets softer towards the toe. They are also extending the Stability Web.
The midsole will be Acteva and they are adding a piece of Abzorb under the heel below the insole. The ride was very smooth and nice. The 856 was flat and clunky (to my foot) and the 857 is much smoother. What about the stability? Well, It didn't feel as stable, but the rep says it is more stable. The smoother ride could be fooling my feet, so I am going to reserve judgment until I see some people run in it.

Any quetions about a particular model? Let me know.

6 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger April Anne said...

I LOVED this post because I love New Balance sneakers! It came at perfect timing too. ~ I was hoping to keep my Nike SRS 1000’s (I think that is the model—it started to wear off) until after my marathon on October 8, but I think that may be a bad decision. I just totaled the miles and they have 621 running miles on them (probably half trails, half roads). How long should they last? My all time favorite sneakers—New Balance, All terrain 602’s lasted for 700 running miles. Being a college student I am on an extremely limited budget so I have to get a lot of miles out of my sneakers, but I don’t want to get injured either. Have you heard of hydropedes? (www.hydropedes.com) I love them. I have used them for the past three years and I just bought a new pair, thinking they would “extended” the life of my Nikes. I have only bought sneakers at commercial stores like Sears and the sales clerks usually don’t know what they are talking about, so I thought I would ask you for your thoughts. ~ Hope you had a great weekend!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Hello,
I have never heard of hydropedes but after checking out their website, I have seen similar insoles. If they work, they work!
You should replace your shoes after approx. 400-500 miles. Insoles do not extend the life of a shoe (the midsole still breaks down) but they do make the shoe feel better longer. You have been getting away with more than 500 miles because you probably have a neutral foot (of course, I can't see you feet from here to know for sure).
Remember, New Balance is making the 606 trail shoe. You may want to check stores like Ross or Marshalls (if they are in your area) for 602's. They buy closeouts and sell 'em on the cheap.
Have your legs recovered after the last couple of weeks?

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger April Anne said...

Guess where I am going tomorrow?? To a REAL sneaker store. No more sears for me!! If I lived in California, I would go to your store, but I’m hoping the store I heard great reviews about will be a success. A friend of mine told me they spent almost an hour with her, as they tried to find her the perfect running sneakers. I’m sure it will be more expensive, but in the long run...it has to be worth it!!! right? :) I think you’re right–I must have neutral feet because I haven’t had a running injury since I was in high school (and even that was only a mild case of shin splints). I find that after a long run I am sore–normally my calves, but after a long nap and good meal I feel much better. ~ I hope things are going well!! Thanks for the advice!!!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger April Anne said...

I bought a pair of Asics GT-2100. Was that a good decision? I hope so! :)

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I'm not sure if it is or not. I haven't watched you run. They must have seen a bit of overpronation. I am a little surprised considering the shoes you have been using. One thing about the 2100: it does work for an amazing number of people. It is the best selling running shoe in running shops (by far). If you are not sure if someone needs a little stability the 2100 is a safe bet. Be aware of arch, shin,and outer knee (IT band) pain. Wear the shoes around the house for an hour or so. If you feel any of the above pains when you start running, the shoe may be too stable for you. If anything comes up let me know. I will let you know if you need to return to the shop.
BTW, where did you go? I had an employee from your neck of the woods and he knew most of the shops.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger April Anne said...

Hi Scott. Once again, thank you for your advice/input!! I’m not sure about overpronation. Would you be able to tell by looking at the bottom of my old sneakers? If so, I have a link to my last pair of sneakers.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/127/1526/640/aprilanneshoe2%20(2).jpg

I plan on wearing the asics around the house tomorrow and I will be aware of the possible problems you mentioned. Did you read my post from tonight? It might make you laugh or cry! :) The store I went to was crazy. It’s called the Run In and believe it is located in Wethersfield, Connecticut. Unfortunately I couldn’t find them on the web. (they seem to be a little behind—technology wise). I told the man I do half of my training on trails and the other half on roads, so maybe that’s why he thought I needed more stability. Who knows!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home