Google

Monday, May 14, 2007

Just like Christmas...

Wow, it's been a while! The weather has been great and so has the running and mt biking!

I got a new toy...the Garmin Forerunner 205.

I went with the 205 because I didn't need the heart rate monitor that the 305 has. What is a Garmin 205 you ask?

The 205 is a wrist watch size (albeit a large one) GPS unit. It gives you distance, speed, elevation, % of incline, and more things I will never use! You can mark points and navigate back to them (it does not have the mapping capabilities of the regular hand held GPS units).

If you are not familiar with GPS, basically there are a bunch of satellites circling the Earth and the GPS unit communicates with them to to find where you are. As you move the spot your signal is coming from changes and it records those changes. That is a VERY simplified version but the important thing is it WORKS!!!

What I especially like is you do not have to calibrate it, no foot pods, it does not matter what you are doing (walk, run, bike, kayak, flap your arms real hard and fly like a bird). They are really nice for tri's, just hit the lap button for the next leg! The info in cycling mode is different than running (for some reason runners want to know the % incline and I guess cyclists don't) but you always get speed and distance.

If you want the heart rate monitor, spend the extra $100 and get the 305. BTW, the 205/305 are nicer than the 101/201/301 that are still around. You do not lose the signal as easy (trees, heavy overcast, and buildings can interfere with the signal). Of course, here in the desert that is Eastern Washington there are few trees, fewer tall buildings and abundant sun shine!

I give this 4 out of 5 toes!

7 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cooking tips. I hope all is going well for you. This must be a busy time of the year at the store.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

qHi Scott. I have to buy some new sneakers this week. I was wondering....do you think I should stick with the Asics 2100's? I have used the Asics 2100's for my past four pairs of sneakers. I really like them and I know they work well--but I really want a change.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I usually tell people to stick with what works but I know people need a change. If you want to stick with Asics then the Kayano is the one to try. They are very expensive ($135) but are nice. The shoe I really like is the Brooks Adrenaline (it has been my main shoe for years). It is their competition with the Asics 21??. The New Balance 767 felt really good and reminds me of the Asics. It would be worth a try. Try hitting a running shop where they will let you try them and let me know what you think. Take care.
Scott

 
At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott. Thanks for your input. I drove an hour to get to a 'real' running store (Fleet Feet in West Hartford). After the girl looked at my old sneakers, looked at my feet and asked me some questions about my running...she brought out three pairs of sneakers she thought would be perfect. Brooks something, New Blance something and Asics 2120's. I tried them all on and guess what?!? The Asics fit best! ;) You were right, I should 'stick with what works'. Thanks again. Enjoy your summer!

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing like custom fitted shoes to make you feet feel so much better on long runs.

home therapy

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Shaela said...

dude, John was SOOO talking me into this thing - I want one so bad!!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Scott said...

John just want to use it on his bike:)

They are very cool. The new 405 is mor of a watch size. Check them out next time you are in the store. It has the heart rate monitor as well.

One of the best things is the pace function. It will keep you on the proper pace during your runs.

Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home