Google

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Reality Check

First off, I can't believe it has been almost a year since my last post. I know I promised to teach how to read wear patterns but I am going to do that later.

The motivation behind this post is a friend of mine who is (was) training for her first marathon and ended up with a stress fracture in her foot (you know who you are!). The marathon is in October. She was on a plan that was about six months long.

She still wants to be able to do the 1/2 marathon. My advice: DON'T!!!! You are probably going to do more harm than good. Your feet are more important than a marathon. OK, now I have made it public!

Unless your income is based on running races, there is absolutely no reason to hurry things along. There are always other races. I used to get this a lot in the running shop. You wouldn't believe what people would do to there bodies just to do a "race". That's an idea for another post. I will do one on some of the best injuries I have seen!

My tip on first marathons: If you have a consistent 20 miles a week (or more) base then choose a marathon roughly 6 months out. If you do not run much (or at all), pick one 1 year out. Give yourself 6 months to build to a consistent 20 - 25 miles a week. Then do a six month, marathon specific training program. I know it sounds conservative, but it is better than an injury. You will also enjoy everything more, and stay a "runner" longer. I have seen too many people force their way through that first one and basically give up running because while the finishing high was great, everything else was horrible.

OK I am getting off my soap box now. Until next time:

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home